The ONA Community Award honors behind-the-scenes colleagues who have made outsize contributions to the field and the public at large.
Nominees should exhibit one of the following characteristics, and the strongest candidates will bridge digital impact and career building:
- An under-the-radar person or small team that has created tools or systems that help digital journalists showcase their best work
- A person or small team that has fostered a stronger sense of community among digital journalists, either by rallying the industry together for a cause, connecting news innovators on an influential and impactful project, or developing a community over time
Note: this nomination form closes on Thursday, July 29 at 11:59pm EDT (3:59 UTC).
Welcome to the 2021 ONA Insights Suggestion Box! This is your opportunity to help shape our first in-person conference since 2019 by letting us know what ideas and topics are important to you. Please note that these suggestions are a virtual brainstorming session; a starting point for discussions with ONA's training staff.
We are looking for sessions to support best practices or innovative ideas for:
- Audience development and metrics
- Product strategy and development
- Reimagining Newsroom Culture
For this event, we are primarily hosting the following session formats, so please ensure your pitch aligns with these. Generally speaking, the more interactive the session, the higher the likelihood of it being accept for ONA Insights.
- Best practices - provide takeaways for tips and tricks for improving work; 3 presenters max
- Learn a skill - workshops that provide a hard skill to take back to newsrooms; 3 facilitators max
- Solutions gathering - get a group of people together in your network to dive into a current challenge; 2 facilitators max
- Template building - collaborate together on a template organizations may use to start a project or initiative, or improve workflows; 2 facilitators max
The deadline for Suggestion Box submissions is August 5, 2021, at 9:00 PM EDT (01:00 UTC). Submissions will be reviewed by our volunteer Program Team: a group of working professionals who recommend topics they deem essential to ONA staff for final decisions.